Monday, March 10, 2014

Departure

I am not a person that's comfortable in limbo. I like change, new beginnings and new challenges. But not waiting for them to begin.

Having said that the last two weeks have been so much fun. I feel like I've been on a constant round of leaving parties (actual and metaphorical). Everyone's been so generous of time / houses / effort and it has made this limbo very comfortable and enjoyable indeed.

It's certainly reminded me what great friends and family I have: hello and thank you to you all. 

I hope to post regularly while in Spain but will be at the mercy of wifi hotspots so don't assume I've fallen off a mountain if nothing appears for a few days.

For the record, here's the pecking order of my worries:

1) Injury. I am clumsy, and I have plenty of niggly old injuries already. Worst case would be an injury that hurts a lot but isn't bad enough to force me to stop. My physio asked me to send him a postcard 'if I make it to Santiago'. I really want to send that postcard.

2) Blisters. Inevitable, but again potential to hurt a lot but not enough to stop me. I am a wimp WRT physical pain.

3) Really bad weather. I think I can cope, but this would make it less fun. This worry currently downgraded as the immediate forecast looks as good as I could have hoped for. (To those who have seen the film The Way, I promise not to walk off a cliff in fog on the first day...)

4) Other people. One of my biggest concerns when I decided to do this. I've got over myself a bit in this regard. 

5) Bedbugs.

Massively outweighing all this I am so excited and grateful for the opportunity to tackle something like this.

All being well I should get to St Jean Pied de Port on the French side of the Pyrenees on Tuesday, and set off across them on Weds. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment