Saturday, May 10, 2014

Day 2: Hook of Holland to Amstelveen (80k)

So the ferry was amazing! Well, in fact the only part I really saw was my cabin, but that was because it was so great... Comfy bed, fairly roomy room, and the best shower. As a result, instead of going for a beer and/or watch the lights of England fade into the distance, I think I fell asleep before we had even pushed off. And slept through till 6.30 (Dutch time) when I was awoken with 'Don't worry be happy' through the loudspeakers. I must have been very deep asleep, it was a very disorientated awakening! 

By the time I rode off the ferry it was raining lightly and it basically did that all day, plus or minus a little bit of heavier rain and the odd fleeting moment of dry. Because of the constant wetness I'm afraid no photos exist, so words will have to suffice.

It was a really lovely ride, despite the weather. The first part was straight up the coast, most of which is the North Sea cycle route.  So I can just about tick that off my wish list! After Scheveningen (the Hague's beach resort) there was a lovely remote section of nature reserve where I was cycling through a landscape of foresty sand dunes and met more rabbits than people (Ruth's parents named their house after this, I believe). 

Late morning I stopped for coffee at a seaside resort called Katswijk and dripped all over the floor of a classy but empty cafe as 'I would walk 500 miles..' played. (Nope, that was the last trip). 

From there on I had to concentrate a little more on the map-reading, which had this far been based mostly on 'keep the sea on your left'. Between my fairly feeble map, and great Dutch cycle route signage I successfully made it to Amstelveen via a lot of very beautiful and empty canalside paths. Holland really is a cyclists paradise and in sunnier weather it would have been just idyllic.

Today provided a great opportunity for trying out my wet-weather gear. Conclusions as follows. My panniers and new RainLegs (front-only over-knee waterproof trousers) both get top marks. My new Sealskin socks are definitely waterproof but after many hours of rain the water worked its way in the elastic at the top - but due to the excellent waterproofing, not back out the bottom. Hmm. The pocket of my jacket had the same problem with pooling water inside. In fact the lowest marks of the day go to my jacket, which it seems isn't waterproof at the zip. So unless a drought is suddenly forecast I think I'd better investigate a Dutch sports shop before cycling on..

I'm staying with my friends Khanum and Alle Meije in their beautiful house in Amstelveen, the next town over from Amsterdam. Last time I was here it was completely gutted and awaiting builders so it's amazing to see it finished (and a reminder of how pokey English town housing is in comparison). I'm planning to stay a few days and then head off across Holland in the middle of the week. Khanum and family may even join me for a day at the weekend - let's hope the weather bucks up by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment