Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day 21: to El Acebo

Today's highlights: the worst possible weather and the highest point of the camino. Quite a combination.

Two hours in I had soaking feet (thanks, waterproof boots). Three hours in I no longer cared and was just trying to stay upright in the howling gale and horizontal rain. The trail was mostly river, sometimes lake, and sometimes river under snow. The road was slightly less of a river and visibility was so low I figured drivers would be going very slow anyway. 

Quick advert for Sealskinz: my hands and head stayed dry throughout. 

Anyway, leaving aside the weather it was (kind of) a nice walk through good scenery (with I'm sure completely amazing views). 

The highest point is the Cruz de Ferro - where you leave behind a burden you have carried. You can just about make out the base of stones in the photo below, taken as I huddled in some shelter.'Twas an atmospheric spot, but not weather to linger.



(And just for Rich: photo of a nice man preparing me a ham sandwich).


1 comment:

  1. Much like that day we went for a walk around your mum an dads back yard :)

    ReplyDelete